Friday, July 18, 2014

Faux Barnwood Painted Dresser

Let's face it, boys can be hard on furniture; especially the stuff that is made from particleboard.


Having purchased a couple of different dressers in previous years, we know this to be true.

Among the clothes that were suppose to be in there, they would also hide...

toy cars... trucks... legos... even the cat would find himself trapped among the items.

I was determined to find a solid piece of furniture; one that is made from real wood.  We didn't want to spend a fortune, just in case it didn't last.
I found a dresser that was in rough condition, but it was solid wood. It wasn't quite what I had been looking for but it seemed to be sturdy enough for my now, pre-teen son. I brought it home,  added a few nails to sturdy it up a bit with the good intention that I would refinish it.

So we stuck it in the closet....
(Don't ever stick anything in the closet unless you want to forget about it)

Eight years has passed since I purchased the dresser.  While my son was away at college I finally decided to tackle refinishing the old dresser. To match the rest of his furniture, I wanted to give it a Faux Barnwood look.


I removed the orginal hardware and filled the holes with wood filler. Once it was dry, I used an electric sander to smooth away any roughness.


I lightly sanded the dresser and made a few minor repairs to help sturdy it up a bit.

Having never tackled a project like this before, I was unsure of the colors I would be needing or how I would create the look of barnwood.


I began by spraying on layers of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Flat Gray Primer, Granite, Nutmeg, Heirloom White, and a very small amount of Espresso.

While the paint was still wet, I began to drag the paint in the direction the grain of the wood. I did this using scrap pieces of sandpaper that I had used during the sanding process.


I'm not sure how many layers of color I used on the dresser, but I continued with the "paint and drag" technique until I achieved the look of barnwood.

I also took the cabinet door off of my son's desk and brought it outside. I used it as a guide for color layers and the distressing.


When the paint was completely dry, I sealed it with Satin Clear.


The final step was adding new hardware to the dresser drawers that I found at Hobby Lobby


I was completely amazed at how well the dresser matched the rest of my son's furniture. I wish I could show you, but he is a boy (no matter what his age is) and his room is still a mess!

If you have any questions about this process, feel free to leave me a comment here or on Instagram. I will try to help as much as I can but I make no claims that you (or I) will be able to repoduce the results shown in this project.

This project is linked to some of these places I visit.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips